Saturday, February 2, 2008

From the depths of the well

Oh the misery of the common cold. Nothing makes me feel quite as cantankerous and disgusting as the viral plague that has felled not only me but Everett as well. This is day 7 and honestly, I don't much look forward to another week. Of course antibiotics have been procurred, and they are being taken, but while the bacterial infections may be thusly banished--not so for the dripping, hacking, slavering mess that is me... Enough self-pitying mumblings.

Things I have enjoyed-- I finished another cardigan rescue. This one started out as a boxy, non-color, cashmere cardigan that had certainly seen better days. After removing the old rather dull mother-o'pearl buttons, I dyed the sweater my first experiment with dying cashmere. It went well, and now it is the color of rasberry sherbert. Next step, new buttons--I had a set of vintage shell buttons with little silver studs in the center that now march down the front quite cheerfully. Finally, I turned the sweater inside out, and pinned it on "Milly" my much desired and finally acquired vintage dressform--first the pinning, then the basting, finally the sewing and voila--a softer, perkier sweater would be hard to find. Easy enough to do as well--it is the first time I have attempted altering a wool/cashmere sweater so I was nervous at the on set, but quite pleased with my final product.

Sadly, I haven't accomplished much else. I have cuddled my self into the corner of my couch and watched movie after movie. Viewed Roman Holiday again, and am quite smitten with Gregory Peck. I wanted something fairy-tale like to take me away and that movie is so lovely. Also have watched Vanity Fair twice, and say what you like about Witherspoon's accent, the costumes and colors are hypnotic.

My darling Russ made fresh bread, and I hear the little one murmuring from his bed, so I am off to fix a bite of lunch and attempt to rescue the rest of the afternoon from the inertia of the sick.

No comments: