Sunday, March 15, 2009
Ready for Spring
Our Kansas weather has been typical for March thus far. One day it snows the next is balmy and delightful. All I can say is I am quite ready for warmth and sunny outside playtime. And of course, sundresses and sandals and pastel cardigans.
My mom made this dress from the curtains that were hanging in the first house she and my dad lived in. The fabric is at least 50-60 years old and the dress is about 27 years old because she made it to wear the summer she was pregnant with me. It has held up remarkably well and aside from a few wear spots that I think I can fix, it is delightful. The sweater was a recent thrift find. Strangely enough, I have this sweater in black which I bought new from Banana Republic when I moved to Kansas. I replaced the tacky plastic buttons on the black sweater with cute vintage ones and intend to do the same on this pink one. I have a set of gorgeous irridescent grey mother-of-pearl buttons that will look splendid.
I intend to make a few more sundresses to weather the hottest days this summer, when I will be the most pregnant! These are my fabrics for my muslins. They were all thrifted for less than $2 each. The top one is practically a Fourth of July parade waiting to happen! The middle is probably a cotton/poly blend, but the color is just fantastic. And the bottom is a vintage sheet that I made a great wrap dress with, unfortunately the construction doesn't allow for a bra, so I will have to make a new version for this summer.
Here are my first three pseudo-maternity patterns. I think they can all be made to work for my growing belly. Any suggestions for fabric to dress? I think I want to make the dress on the right, the short view in eyelet for Easter--but only after I make a muslin. I have some gorgeous hand-dyed raw silk, in an true coral red that would look really pretty as the middle pattern--but again, a muslin is in order first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
How cool that you got the maternity dress from your mom!
Should I start buying bedding for myself? Are you taken care of? You know I can't decide on colors for me, but I always think you will like this or that.
Also thought you looked very becoming in this cardigan last time we were together!
Post a Comment