Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Crest of the Wave

Just when I think the weather is turning we get a little more snow and the sun dissapears. I am trying so hard to stay "upbeat" but I am overwhelmed by grey skies and chilly winds.

I am making friends with my new-old Volvo. It is a 92, 740 wagon, dark blue-green, push-button five speed. It is my first stick shift and learning is more difficult than baking or sewing but not going too poorly. I drove it into town yesterday--quite a leap in confidence. I did stall out, but as Anne reminded me, "just block everyone else out" I went to Sally Anns and my favorite thrift, Second Thyme as a reward. Nothing at the Salvo but I did happen on a lovely tea table clothe at Second Thyme. It is linen with a sunshine yellow border and four adorable yellow applique teapots one per corner, and lavished with beautiful tonal embroidry. It was a very slow day for thrifting--the only other finds were a few doilies--sure to become part of something else, and three vintage pins--I am really into pins on sweaters, coats, scarves etc. Also they make lovely presents for friends.

I had a very crafty weekend-- I made a dress (to go to Miss Anne) and finished what felt like dozen little projects that I had put in the basket under my desk. They had been glaring at me for some time so I thought it would make sense to take care of a few.

*shortened and hemmed antique slip (to prepare for dying)
*shortened and hemmed 60's shirt dress (I liked it the way it was, but my sweet mother suggested taking off a few inches...Well I should have gone with my gut. The hem is fine, but I just liked it better longer. Oh well)
* Sew vintage lace to petticoat of "new favorite thrift skirt"
*Replace clasp on dark indigo porcelain bead necklace, I had rescued the beads at Second Thyme, but the clasp I wanted for them originally wasn't strong enough, so I found a new one, it looks like two flowers kissing!
*put sterling wires on crochet earrings--these are marvelously olive and mustard and ochre, but the scrap metal wires gave me infections when ever I wore them, luckily it is the simplest project ever!
*dye sweater, dress, t-shirt, slip/tunic. This was supposed to be easy, I am not new to dying fabric, yet, it was almost a disaster. I am currently in mucho amore with dark golden, mustardy, yellow. And so I went to mix my dye and thought deeper color, add some sunshine orange...NO,NO,NO! So then I had very orangey-not the good orange items--then to a light bleach wash, careful not to destroy the fabrics, and finally re-dye with dark yellow with a few tablespoons of tan. Now they are perfect, especially the sweater.

Unfortunately, the pile in my basket only got bigger. Two skirts to alter (and that isn't even counting the ones in my summer clothes storage. Three vintage quilts to finish off or make into something new. One used-to-be perfect grey hoodie to applique, one t-shirt to applique or turn into a cute tank-top, one wall hanging to bind off for Evie's room...it goes on, and on, and on. And sadly I must continue to focus on school first. Oh well summer is coming!

On a happy note, this weekend is "dining out" a big formal dinner and dance at the airbase, so Russ and I get to dress up and pretend to be grown-ups. I told him he could pick my dress--not that I have hundreds, but I figured he might appreciate being included in choosing--as he missed me in the infamous red dress for Blair's wedding.

I feel so remiss in not posting pictures yet--I blame it entirely on the current lighting--far too dark and dismal. Maybe next weekend...

And one more completely exciting thing--I am organizing my first clothing swap betwixt my sweetest ladies. Hopefully over Spring Break--definitly inspiration to get my school stuff taken care of.

Best and happiest Wednesday afternoons. XOXO

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reading your post, I have to admit that I kept thinking that I need a slip (to wear with the sweater dress and it has to be cute because we're girls and what is underneath often needs to be as cute as what is on top). Very selfish and I am contrite. I hope you guys have a fun formal "adult" time at the dinner/dance. Am beyond impressed with all the little here and theres that you've accomplished! And I agree, school is a bit of a downer, but eventually, it will be useful for both of us. I think :-) Love, Anne

Anonymous said...

I am requesting pictures of the dress that you are passing along to me, the grape cluster bracelet, the refashioned slip, and two other things of your choice! I do this because I love you and because I somehow believe that there are really 32 hours in the day - right? Yet again, please notice what time it is . . . Love, Anne