Wednesday, October 8, 2008

transitions and re-imagining

As a little girl, my mom spent a great deal of time reading to me. My favorites were always stories where the heroines "made-do" or were creative in times of trial. I still remember an episode in a Boxcar Children story, where Jessie--the oldest sister, made an apple pie using an old bottle as a rolling pin. Or who could forget in Little Women when Meg and Jo go to the ball sharing a pair of gloves, and I can't remember which girl it was, but one has to keep their back to the wall because their dress has scorch marks from standing too close to the fire ( I think it was Jo!) And of course Meg insists on wearing the cunning little slippers from the charity box even though they are too small. Similarly, in Girl of the Limberlost, by Gene Stratton Porter, Elnora makes a graduation gown out of lace and ribbons and a few carefully placed gardenias. These characters were my favorite imaginary friends, and even now, as an adult I sometimes wonder what they would do or how they would solve a problem. So in honor of these literary re-fashionistas, I decided to style my favorite summer jersey dresses for fall. It should be noted that these jersey dresses are absolutely the most comfortable and perfect for looking put together--without trying, a must when chasing my oh so active Everett.
Navy jersey dress--JCrew
olive merino wrap sweater--dyed, felted by me, from Banana two + years ago
vintage petticoat
wool paisley scarf--Ten Thousand Villages


Have I mentioned how much I enjoy wearing my boots? Pretty much with everything.
These are so much fun, I can't wait to wear them--Thrifted.
I LOVE this color! Originally this sweater was aqua, mossy green is so much nicer.


White frilly button down--vintage American Eagle ( I never shop there, but my mom picked this up for me, Thanks mom!
Emerald green jersey dress, worn as a jumper---JCrew, re-dyed by me. It was a really perky, perky green--a little too bright for me. Now it is perfect!
Grey, nubby hooded sweater--swap from Anne
vintage princessy petticoat
navy skinny belt--thrifted
Ummm, pretty much my favorite new shoes. I think, that like the boots I am going to wear them out this fall and winter. I love the dark grey.

I really love dying things. It gives them new life and it allows me to customize my clothes to the color I want, or close enough. Both the dress and the slip were originally different colors.
Jersey dress--re-dyed (3 times!) JCrew, two years ago

vintage slip--dyed and bleached

nubby sweater (with pockets!)--thrifted

cozy, ombre wool scarf--gift from Anne

I think that my heroines would be pleased, and might even wear a few of these combinations. And as if I needed to say it again, I think an autumn pallette is scrumptious. I should add that Milly certainly does a fantastic job of standing still and taking pictures--although hopefully I will have some photos of me actually modeling my own clothes eventually...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know your little secret about your fashion! Milly looks great, you always put things together that I would never think of and they look fabulous, it's a gift!

Anonymous said...

I agree, your boots are pretty. My new leather boots from Dogfunk are also nice.

Anonymous said...

Is the green jersey dress the really bright Lisa dress? I love what you've done with it - a little jealous too. Sometime you will have to explain the dyeing process to me because I just don't understand how it could be so uniform! Jealousy because the green one is the only one I would want to change too - the navy and strawberry are perfect. How does one go about sewing Taffeta (did I spell that right?)? Just had a fantastic idea for a holiday red taffeta or silk Graduation/Christmas dress. Oh dear, that would mean sewing. And I gave up on the idea . . .

Melynda said...

I found you via comment left on my blog. I'm going back to thumb through your archives. I like your wardrobe remix photos.
What method do you prefer for dying/over dying? What product are you using?