Sunday, March 14, 2010

Spikey green things and Forgetting about Springing forward

This time of year always tantalizes me with a few days, maybe a week even, of absolutely glorious weather. Blue skies, warm breezes, the first sprouts of daffodils, tulips, hyacinths and other Spring lovelies. And then, because it is only March after all, the grey sky weather returns. Of course, in my impatience for warmer temperatures, I invariably begin to pack up all the winter woolens, organize the closets, and shake my rag menacingly at all the dust bunnies and cobwebs.  While the cleaning and organizing is always a decent way to spend a day I usually end up regretting the exodus of merino and cashmere to the bottom of the cedar chest. Yet, call it stubbornness if you want, I refuse to unpack it even when I probably could use a heavy sweater. Because deep down, I believe that if I give in and pull out the toasty sweaters and skirts that I am delaying the arrival of those beautiful, true Spring days with my lack of faith.

Which probably means I will be a bit chilly not to mention very layered and funnier looking than usual. But so be it.  I certainly don't want to be blamed for Spring's later than usual arrival.

On a different note, I have been busy in the crafty department, or as I like to call it, "Why won't you just dye?!" See, I have this minor obsession with RIT dye.  And yes, I know that procion dyes are way better. But, they require a lot more planning, whereas, when I get the itch to change the color of something, I can get RIT dye at either of the local craft stores. And I get "Easter Egg " syndrome frequently.  But here is the catch, something ALWAYS goes wrong.  Most recently, I decided to dye a few sweaters, a skirt, and (ominous music playing) a white dress that with a new color I could wear to an upcoming wedding. I should have known, that since I had plans for the dress and since there was absolutely nothing wrong with it, that the dress would be the one thing that didn't dye well.  And yeah, I know, pictures would probably have been good, but I was too mad. So use your imagination and think yellow, navy, lime and parrot green blotchy spots all over the once pristine dress.  So, more dye was procured, a few contingency plans were thought up and it was back to square 1.  The second time, it dyed evenly, except for one odd yellowish spot on the right side of the bodice.  I am currently playing with a few vintage appliques, some lace, possibly fabric paint (is that too 80's or does it have a certain Anthropologie-esque possibility?) gold metallic thread, and who knows what else.   I don't think I will wear it to the wedding anymore, but I just can't toss it into the garage sale pile. I really liked the dress and feel the need to salvage it.  Anyone feel like weighing in if I post pictures of possible spot-hiding adornments?  My biggest worry is it looking too busy or too fussy and twee. Ideally I would like it to have that handmade, Alabama Chanin/Anthropologie artwear look, but to be sturdy enough for wearing as a daily sundress this summer.  Photos to come if I can get some feedback on what looks best : )

3 comments:

Kit said...

Tie dye it. Like I said before in my near infinite wisdom.

Kate said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I am glad to find you. I have been in the mood to dye too. I think I'm going to do some play scarves soon. I have trouble with clothes too. Can you do a broach or if it is lower a thicker scarf/belt? I've saved something before with some applique. I had to applique more than just the spot to make it not look too wonky. Good luck.

Miriah said...

unfortunately, the spot is in that incredibly awkward, almost armpit area. So a broach could be super uncomfortable and it is too high for a belt. Let me know what you think of the pictures/ideas so far ; ) I played around a little this afternoon, but I am hesitating on stitching anything down yet.

And Christopher-- dearest brother, I may yet tie-dye it but I am actually a bit overwhelmed at how much harder it was (after a little research) than I thought. Plus since that spot didn't take dye the first or second times I don't think it will the third time.