Sunday, March 14, 2010

Salvage ideas

 So I have been playing around a bit with some spot covering ideas.  And thought getting the opinions of a few more people would maybe help me narrow it down.  Apologies in advance as this is going to get a bit wordy.  The first picture is the entire dress--it is an empire waisted, full-skirted ballerina-esque raimie/cotton dress.  The stitching remained white because it was polyester (pretty common when overdying).  I think the white top-stitching makes the dress a bit more casual. One of the reasons I am dissapointed that it didn't dye evenly (see picture of spot) is that a solid colored dress is a blank slate that allows for an infinite number of accessory/occasion mixing and matching. And I value that type of "fashion diversity." So, I would like the finished product to allow me as much of that flexibility as possible. That being said,  any adornment, in my opinion does restrict the garment a little.

So on to the pictures, my camera is being a little tempermental thus the last picture was shot horizontally like the others but flipped in my camera's memory.  Sorry about that.  I am thinking about using a light gold (metallic) thread for the green abstract dots and floral.  I am still playing around with the purple doilies and the navy lace.  I really do like the delicate white flowers (they came off an almost destroyed vintage dresser runner) because they seem to compliment the white thread. 

So thoughts??? Suggestions? Scrap it all and start again??

7 comments:

nicole said...

green abstact dots and navy are my favorite. the dots seem the most versatile to me, but i really don't know much about this stuff, this is the kinda stuff I would give to you to figure out. So my best advice is go with what YOU like! Love you and can't wait to see a finished pic with you in it!

Kit said...

Kit: I like the second option best.

Amy: I like the first option best.

We think you should pick one of those two.

Miriah said...

of the five opinions I have so far, there is NO consensus. Or clear favorite. Ummmm. this was supposed to help, not make it harder!

Cristen said...

I like option 1 the best, it feels very spring :)

Trent Gudmundsen said...

I like the white flowers the best. But if you wanted something less noticeable thing you could go with a fabric ruffle or flower died with the same die. Thus creating texture not pattern keeping with the "fashion diversity" thing.

ebfitzpat said...

I love the blue!!!

Kate said...

Jumping in late with my vote. I like 1, 4, or 5. They are all great options. The dress is just beautiful. I think it is worth saving.