Friday, June 24, 2011

Louisiana

Another gift my parent's gave me was a trip down memory lane. I was born in Louisiana but had never been back. My parents moved when I was a little over 2 years old and a trip to the bayous wasn't ever practical. But, since we were driving to Texas, my dad arranged our travel plans to include a jaunt over to the town they lived in when I was a baby.  We also were able to meet up with some friends who knew my parents when they were newlyweds and part of the first church they were a part of as husband and wife. It was a really special trip and while the kids may not remember it as much as the aquarium, for me it was even more special.
This is the Atchafalaya river basin. The bridge goes on and on and on. It is the deepest river in the world, or so I am told!


Any true Southern town has a monument honoring our departed Confederate heroes.

The courthouse. Which was in session. Can you feel the heat? The humidity? Doesn't it make you want to walk a little slower? To stop and linger on a park bench?



My favorite trees in the whole world are live oaks. Especially ones with Spanish moss. They  feed my heart.



Isn't he adorable? Mama says they are everywhere.

Opelousas is in Cajun country. Thus, one of the historical markers was in French.  I have always loved it when my mom speaks French. Sidenote: she met my dad in High School French class!

Ummm. A little late we noticed a sign that said "stay off the wall" Oops. Our apologies!



Not a drive-thru or sit-down. This is a walk-up Dairy Queen window! Perfect for cooling off with a little sweet!

Look at that face! You know she ate almost all of that cone!




I love the old neon signs. They were all around the square.





Because most of the residential areas had seriously declined since the 1980s, my parents took me to the next town over to see some better preserved Louisiana homes.  They were exactly what I always imagined.

 <><>
<>
<><>
We had to stop an buy an oak basket for Kit and Amy. They were amazing!







1 comment:

AnneR said...

That's wonderful to visit your birthplace! How long did your parents spend there, and what took them there? Was it your dad's job? I think a trip to the south should be plans - New Orleans or somewhere less touristy/still historical and beautiful. Alabama? Georgia? Back to Louisiana? Let me know!