Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Our Southern Christmas, part one

We flew to Raleigh, my hometown, on December 23. It was a long day and we were so glad to walk through the doors at my parents house!

Mom's kitchen is always a riot of colors, delicious smells, and action. It is the heart of the house. We all gather round the island and help out or just chat away the hours.

Everett's favorite memories involve playing Wii with his Aunt Amanda. He especially like playing the Ninja Turtles game.

I always think a Frazier Fir is the epitome of Christmas trees. It is so sweetly fragrant and lovely to look at. Mom and Dad's tree was especially pretty this year, maybe because we all got to share it.

Evie waited so patiently for us all to gather on Christmas morning. It was so nice to sit by the fire and open our stockings together. The kids loved each minute of being with Nonni and Grampy and ask every day why we left and when we are going back.

The necessary brew to keep up with our beautiful children.  M-O-M-M-Y needs C-O-F-F-E-E...

Kit and Amy gave wonderful hats this year for Christmas. Derek's was by far the most amazing. He should grow a beard, too bad he has the van der Hoeven lack of chin hair gene.

As per my request, we had roast leg of lamb for Christmas dinner. It was amazing and delicious. No pictures unfortunately. But aren't these veggies lovely? The tasted pretty great too.


So, I was a 50/50 photographer this time. I have a whole bunch more that I will load but, there are also quite a few moments that got passed up.

Things I wish I had pictures of:
The opening of stockings
The Dinosaur Bones museum trip
Singing with my sister and mom at the Christmas Eve service
An excellent thrift trip with my mom and sister
The "Christmas Cottage" that Russ and I slept in.
Releasing balloons in honor of my grandmother.

But oh well. I will always have the memories of the special moments that made this trip one to hold dear in my remembrances.

No comments: