Friday, April 1, 2011

Wearing [your *new*] Clothes

So we have thought, cleaned, organized and donated. Your closet is pristine but maybe a bit austere. You love wearing the clothes you have but maybe you are tired of doing laundry every day and wearing the same favorites?  Well, you are in luck! It's time to go shopping. More accurately, I am going to give you some tools to successfully thrift and freshen your closet.

Do you know where the local thrifts are? You should at least know where one is as you were supposed to donate all the less than perfect clothes you cleaned out. No? Well, thank goodness for the interwebs. Google "thrift store" and your zip code to start. If you don't get much, expand to your state.  That should give you a handful to start with.

You now have addresses and possibly driving directions (gotta love Google maps!) but where do you start?

I divide thrift stores into three catagories. You have "the big ones" like Goodwill and Salvation Army,  small privately owned shops, and thrifts operated by churches.  Large stores like Goodwill or GCF in North Carolina tend to have standard pricing, be fairly organized, and have A LOT to search through. Their clothes come from donations. Small privately owned stores usually specialize in something like "almost-but-not-quite-antique" furniture and get their merchandise from auctions and estate sales, sometimes they buy and sell used clothing. Church run thrifts are usually smallest, typically a bit disorganized, run by volunteers and often very, very inexpensive because they are providing a service for the economically challenged.

I shop at all of the above. And I find fantastic things at all of them. The big stores will have the best selection of name brand and upper-end clothing and shoes. I have found Diane von Furstenburg, Frye, Nanette Leopore, Barneys COOP, and lots and lots and lots of J. Crew, Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, and Free People at Goodwill. The small privately owned stores are wonderful for furniture if you are on a budget, but clothing wise it can be mostly a miss. I have found some really great vintage jewelry though, so always look! Church run thrifts are fantastic for finding great vintage.  Little old ladies with fantastic style tend to donate things they wore in the 50's, 60's, and 70's.  Lots of fun and great prices.

Now some thrifting guidelines, these aren't rules because you will find what works best for you.
1. Set a budget, just because everything is cheap doesn't mean you can't rack up an $80 ticket, and that isn't always a good suprise.
2. Try everything on. If they don't have dressing rooms, find a mirror and slip it on over your clothes.
3. Don't look for the exact sweater you saw in J.Crew. While you may find it, looking that specifically can just be dissapointing.
4. Have your list and check things off. This may seem to contradict number 3, however, remember your wishlist? Bring it with you. It helps to remember you are looking for a floral skirt, pastel cardigans, and skinny belts.
5. Take your time, after years of thrifting, I completely believe that "it" will always turn up.

****Basic Thrifting Karma****
I believe it is very important to follow a few "moral" rules when thrifting.
The first rule:
Don't be greedy, only buy what you will wear.
The second rule:
When you are done wearing something, turn it around, donate it back to where it came from.

So lets say  you have spent a leisurely hour or so gathering a basket full of loveliness. Should you buy it?
Answering these questions usually help me make the final cuts.

1. Is it on "the LIST"?
2. Does it fit well?
3. Is it clean and in excellent condition?
4. Would I buy it at full price?
(theoretically of course--I would never pay retail for many of the things I find because I can't afford them!)
5.Will it get worn?
(But don't be afraid to try new things, thrifting allows even the most budget concious shoppers to experiment with their looks!)

You make your purchases then what's next?

Go home and wash it. This is always the first thing I do. Not because I think it's dirty or gross, but because I want my clothes to smell like me.

Enjoy looking amazing and spending a fraction! It's perfectly okay to keep your sources a secret, I'll never tell! And if it still seems daunting, give me a call! I am an excellent personal shopper and I love teaching.

2 comments:

Sally said...

I need help!! Will you help me??

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get over my fear of thrifting (at some point, I'm sure you will hear about a really icky experience that turned me off from buying used clothes for pretty much forever), but I have found ways to get clothes on the cheap. I love, love, love clearance sections, and since I do a lot of online shopping, I usually manage to snag some pretty hefty deals by sticking to the clearance section and using coupon codes.