Remember this dress from a few posts back? Well, I finally finished my "minor" alterations! All vintage is special to me, but some have a personal connection. I treasure this dress for a couple reasons. First, this is one of the bridesmaid's dresses from my parent's wedding! They got married June 14, 1980. Sweetly, my brother is getting married the same weekend in June this year!!!! Secondly, my dad's sisters who were two of my mom's bridesmaids, sewed not only their dresses but also the dresses for my mom's sisters who were the other two bridesmaids! I am awed and humbled by the gift of their time and talent!
 |
| Because it was 1980 the dresses were really long. I know that maxi-length is in, but in this sillohuette, it wasn't very flattering on me. So the first thing I decided to do was shorten it. It also had a really droopy long sash--but I will get to that. In my hasty youth, I cut the straps out...Needless to say, these days, I am glad of a little extra support. |
 |
| You will see that lace again! And because I am the queen of short-cuts, I used the droopy sash to make the new shoulder straps. Brilliant? Why thank you! |
 |
| Ask anyone who has ever talked to me about a sewing project and they will tell you that the simplest fixes become month long projects at my hands. So I cut the lining too short. Thankfully, I had enough of this gorgeous crocheted lace to lengthen the lining just enough. I could say I planned it that way... |
 |
| This particular dress belonged to my mom's youngest sister who was in highschool at the time. I feel pretty good that it fits so perfectly! I am thinking about wearing it for Easter. If the snow stays away. |
 |
| All in all, I am so thankful to have it finished and hanging in my closet! I feel like I have saved the memories and honored all the time and love that went in to making this beautiful dress! |
No comments:
Post a Comment