Saturday, March 5, 2011

wearing clothes: the first in a series

So I guess that I should start with a minor disclaimer. Here it is: I believe clothes are important. They cover us from the elements sure, but they also have the ability to make us feel like our best self, to transform us from everyday to Cinderella (or Prince Charming), Your favorite clothes also hold special memories that can be conjured simply by slipping on that one pair of jeans or that soft sweater.  Now, obviously there are more important things in the world than what we wear. Famine, Drought, War, Genocide, Hate, Pain, Suffering, these things are all way more important than clothes. Those are things that we should all care deeply about and want to change. So please don't think I am oblivious to life's harsh realities or that I am elevating clothing above its station. But, like I said first, clothing is part of life, in Western culture it is part identity formation, and it is something that drives our economy. It is a huge monster with many heads. There are hundreds, probably thousands of blogs, articles, and books that address the different aspects of clothing, fashion, and what we wear. I have read quite a few of them and there are hundreds more I haven't (yet). This series isn't really about fashion. It isn't about theory either. I want it to be useful. I want it to be something that is a starting point or an inspiration for anyone reading who sometimes looks in their full closet and sees nothing to wear, it certainly isn't meant to be "law." I have enjoyed drafting my thoughts and I look forward to sharing them. So, enough preamble. On to the point.


Currently, my closet looks like this.

 I believe that everyone should love the clothes in their closet. If you don't really, really, really love it, it shouldn't be there.  If you don't love it, you won't really love how it looks on you, and if you don't really like what you are wearing, then you don't feel as confident, as beautiful, and as wonderful as you are. Here is the first caveat, you are really the only person that needs to love your wardrobe.  It doesn't have to be fashionable, it doesn't need to be in style, and it certainly doesn't have to look like anything in my closet.  If you are comfortable and feel like a million bucks in a pair of baggy khaki capris and a frilly tee shirt, great! If you prefer tight jeans and a drapey cardigan, wear that. If you like the ease of dresses or the functionality of cargo pants, terrific! There is no "wrong" in clothing, unless, you are wearing something that makes you feel like less than your best.


My closet is always full of lots and lots and lots of grey, white/cream, and pops of color.
 Lets take a minute to inventory. Before you start hauling everything out to look at it (and I will ask you to do that too) answer a few questions. I grabbed a notebook and made actual notes, but you can just think about these things. If you don't want to do it all at once, just keep these questions in the back of your mind. If you don't think about these things frequently, it may even be better to spread out your answers so you have time to really think.

Do you like your "look"?
Do you have a "look"?
Do you have a lot of clothes but nothing to wear?
Do you think clothing is too expensive to update or change your wardrobe?
Do you think getting "dressed" is too hard but secretly admire/envy that girl you saw at the coffee shop/Target/walking who looked so cute and put together?

Now, think about your favorite outfits, you know the ones you reach for again and again. The ones you remember wearing because they made you feel like the star.

What do they look like? Do they have common themes?
Color? Fit? Comfort? Pattern or Solid? Are they variations of the same thing or different?

Next take a quick peek in your closet. I will come back and do a thorough sweep but for now, just look.

Is your life the same as when you bought the sweater/dress/pants/etc.? Is it still useful and functional?
Have you worn it out or does it look brand new? Would you spend the money again?

Don't think about the things you want to wear or events you wish you could get dressed for. This isn't for a fantasy, this is about your wonderful, very real life.


My Fall, Winter, Spring and even some Summer "looks" often revolve around boots.
That wasn't too hard, right?  Let it sit for a while. Think about the questions when you are getting dressed.

Coming Next: gathering inspiration and making comparisons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

okay so I answered these questions very easily and they held no suprises really, just a sad reminder of how I am not so in love with the clothes in my closet...(sigh). I'll be back to turn my frown upside down....please inspire (as you always do).

Anonymous said...

This makes me want to go through my closet! I really need to- I'm bad about keeping things just because they're still functional, even if I don't really use/wear them anymore.

One trick I've found that works is turning the hangers around once you wear something. That way, you can see what you have and haven't worn! It's great if you're like me and you can't decide on something at the moment. After seeing that clothes haven't been worn in months, it makes it easier to donate them.