Tuesday, March 22, 2011

wearing [your] clothes: Cleaning out the Closet

I didn't forget. I promise. Two weeks later, I hope, is just enough time to think and organize without losing motivation.  This post is about getting rid of closet clutter, it's time to sort, fold, hang, and repeat! In the last post, I asked you to organize your closet and start thinking about what you want to wear, a wish-list of sorts for your "look."  Hopefully, you have some pictures either torn out or mentally filed.  I also asked you to think about your life, your responsibilities, and what you do.  Ideally, your wish list and your life have strong correlations.  There isn't anything wrong with wanting or owning a cocktail dress or two, even if your day-to-day is more cookies, milk and mud pies, however, the bulk of your clothing should be functional for your real life not a fantasy life.

***Uniforms may get a bad reputation for being boring and conformist, but adopting a style of dressing that is functional and makes you feel great, and is easy to put on in the morning is smart! Instead of boring, think "signature style." And remember that even mundane tee shirts and jeans can look great with the right accessories! So when organizing, don't get rid of it just because you have another like it...If you have more than one because it is a signature, keep it and wear it as part of your uniform!

Alright, enough pep talking, time to clean out that closet.  If you can find a willing and objective friend, their assistance will make the next steps much more fun. If not, be brutally honest with that sassy reflection in your mirror. (And if you don't have a full-length mirror, please, please, please go get one!)

This is time consuming, so plan taking the better part of a day to organize and sort.  If you have kids, take a couple of days and remember to include the little lovies! Who doesn't love playing dress-up in mama's closet? And if your kids are like mine, the thought of making a mess will be thrilling. Another tactic would be to clean at night, but I am always wiped by the end of the day.

Remember, only do the current season, otherwise it gets overwhelming.

Starting with your tops and proceeding through pants, skirts, dresses, jeans etc. do the following:

1. Try it on. Seems rudimentary. But maybe between now and the last time you wore it something changed.(And unless you wore it yesterday, I don't want you skipping anything)

2. Does it fit? Is it comfortable? Does it make you feel great about yourself? Does the color make your eyes pop, your cheeks rosy and your smile sparkle? Or is it too snug/loose? Does it make you feel frumpy or blah? Does it make the general public call 911 because you look like Death warmed-over? Does it match or coordinate with other things? Lots of things or just one? Did you buy it because it was on sale or because you would have paid full price?

3. If you answered in the negative, take it off and put it in the donate pile immediately! It may be just the thing for someone else! But if you like it and it likes you, it is time for some more questions.

4. Have you worn it this month? Last month? Last year? If you didn't wear it, are you keeping it because it holds a lot of special memories? Is it in good repair or does it need a button or seam fixed? Is the color still fresh or is it faded? Is it pilling? If you haven't worn it and there are no extenuating circumstances. Donate it.

5. If it needs any alterations or repair, give yourself two weeks to get it done. If in two weeks it hasn't moved from the "fix-it" pile, you need to donate it! If it has memories, remove it from your closet and put it in a safe place. We will come back to the memorable pieces.

6.  So lets say you have gone through everything now. You and your wonderful friend (who should be paid well in delicious food and beverages and the promise of returning the favor) should have made four piles. One to keep, one to donate, one to save, and one to fix. Your closet should look a little bare. Take out the empty hangers and enjoy looking at the organized fruit of your effort!

7. Sounds simple? Sounds tedious? Sounds like fun? It is a bit of all three, and you are just getting started!
After hanging all the keepers back in your closet turn your attention to your "donation" pile.  Do any of the clothes in that pile remind you of any friends or family? Sort them out and set them aside.

8. Before a week passes, take your donations to your nearest thrift store. Pass them along. It will make you feel lighter and your house will feel cleaner!

So your closet is a little sparse, you have a stack of clothes for friends, and you want to know what is inside that thrift store after you made your donation?  Plus, you still have this fabulous mental image of yourself wearing the perfect ensemble like in that page from the catalog.  Coming next: Thifting, Swapping, and Wardrobing!

3 comments:

Cristen said...

Ok...I've developed a plan: to let you clean out your closet and just ship the cast-offs my direction. Sound good? :)

No really, I need to do this probably more than anyone and I have yet to even dig my Spring/Summer clothes out of the basement. I'm way behind.

Anonymous said...

I've taken out all of the clothes that I don't want, don't wear, or are old and janky. Now, I just need to get them out of the trunk of my car and off the floor of my closet and go sell them at Plato's Closet. Progress is being made, slowly but surely!

Tiffany said...

I love, love, love this idea...and will be doing it soon...once I lose my baby weight :)

Love your take on the 'uniform' too. I typically wear the same type of outfit daily & always feel like i should try something different, but like you said - if it's comfortable & you feel good in it, go for it!

Thanks!